• Do I need an approved lock?


    • Depending on the value of your bicycle you will need a certain standard of lock.
    • For bicycles up to £500 – Sold Secure Bronze Rating.
    • For bicycles up to £1,500 – Sold Secure Silver Rating.
    • For bicycles over £1,500 – Sold Secure Gold Rating.
    • Please click here to check if your lock is suitable:
  • I have a lock that is not included on the sold secure list – what should I do?

    All locks on the sold secure list have been tested and we are confident offer the best level of defence for your bicycle against theft.

    We would advise that you buy one of those locks and use your current lock as a secondary defence.

    If you feel that your current lock offers the same or better level of protection than the recommended sold secure lock. Then please email our customer services team ( with your lock details and value of the bicycle you wish to insure.

    Have a question not listed above then please email us at:

  • How long does the policy last for?

    The policy runs for 12 months from inception and is then renewable each year.

  • Can I pay by monthly instalments / direct debit?

    In order to keep our prices at the most competitive price for all our customers, the premium is payable in one annual amounts.

    Therefore we do not offer payment via monthly instalments.

  • How do I make a claim?

    You will need to contact our claims department on 0844 412 4258* as soon as possible but in any event no later than 28 days after the incident.

  • What is the claims procedure?

    You must:

    • Notify the claims agent on 0844 412 4258* as soon as possible but in any event no later than 28 days after any incident likely to give rise to a claim under this insurance;
    • Report the theft of any bicycle to the Police within 24 hours of discovery and obtain a crime reference number in support of your claim;
    • Provide us with receipts for any approved locks used in support of any theft claim or if the receipt is not available to you must provide the remains of the damaged approved lock.
    • Provide us with details of the claim and any other contract, guarantee, warranty or insurance that may apply to the damage including but not limited to household insurance. Where appropriate a ratable proportion of the claim may be recovered direct from these Insurers.
    • If we replace your bicycle the damaged or stolen item becomes ours. If it is returned or found you must notify us and send it to us if we ask you to.

    To help us improve our service we may record or monitor telephone calls.

    UK General Insurance Ltd are an insurers agent and in the matters of a claim act on behalf of the insurer.

  • Is there a cooling off period after I buy the policy?

    Yes, if after reading your policy you decide the terms of the insurance do not meet your requirements you will have 14 days to cancel it, starting on the day you receive your documentation.

    Provided that a claim does not exist on your policy, you will be entitled to a full refund of your premium.

  • How do I cancel my policy?

    You may cancel your policy either by:

    • Email us at: ; or
    • Writing to us at: Cover4Insurance, The Stables, Old Co-Op Yard, Warwick Street, Manchester, M25 3HB

    Please include the following information in your communication:

    • Policy holders name.
    • Policy number.
    • Reason for the cancellation (optional).
    • A short declaration that no claims have been made or pending on the policy.


    • Cancellation within 14 days of purchase:
      You may cancel this policy within 14 days of receiving your certificate of insurance or confirmation of coverage. A full refund of premium paid will be made if you have not made a claim.

    • Cancellation after the first 14 days of payment:
      You may cancel the insurance cover at any time by informing us however no refund of premium will be payable.

  • How do I make a complaint?

    It is the intention to give you the best possible service but if you do have any questions or concerns about this Insurance or the handling of a claim you should in the first instance contact the Complaints Manager of UK & Ireland Insurance Services (Online) Limited.

    Complaints regarding:

      UK & Ireland Insurance Services (Online) Limited, The Complaints Manager, UK & Ireland Insurance Services (Online) Limited, The Stables, Old Co-Op Yard, Warwick Street, Manchester, M25 3HB
      Tel: 0844 826 2044
      If your complaint about the sale of your policy cannot be resolved by the end of the next working day, UK & Ireland Insurance Services (Online) Limited will pass it to:
      Customer Relations Department, UK General Insurance Limited, Cast House, Old Mill Business Park, Gibraltar Island Road, Leeds, LS10 1RJ.
      Direct Group Property Services, Claims Department, PO Box 800, Halifax, HX1 9ET.
      Tel: 0844 412 4296   Fax: 0844 412 4138
      In all correspondence please state that your insurance is provided by UK General Insurance Limited and quote scheme reference Cover 4 Pedal Cycles 09/13.
      If it is not possible to reach an agreement, you have the right to make an appeal to the Financial Ombudsman Service. This also applies if you are insured in a business capacity and have an annual turnover of less than €2million and fewer than ten staff. You may contact the Financial Ombudsman Service at:
      The Financial Ombudsman Service, South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, Docklands, London, E14 9SR.
      Tel: 0845 080 1800.

    The above complaints procedure is in addition to your statutory rights as a consumer. For further information about your statutory rights contact your local authority Trading Standards Service or Citizens Advice Bureau.

    Thank you for your feedback
    We value your feedback and at the heart of our brand we remain dedicated to treating our customers as individuals and giving them the best possible service at all times. If we have fallen short of this promise, we apologise and aim to do everything possible to put things right.

  • Is there an excess on my policy?

    Yes, there is an excess payable by you for all claims.

    An excess equal to the first 10% of the maximum cover limit for your bicycle, with a minimum excess of £25.

  • What information do you need to start cover?

    We will need:

    • Your Name.
    • Contact details.
    • Make / Model / Frame or Serial Number / Value of the of each Bicycle you wish to insure.
    • Payment details (Credit / Debit card).

  • What is the maximum value you insure?

    We cover bicycle(s) and fixed accessories up to a maximum value of £3,000 on any one policy.

  • What kinds of bikes do you cover?

    We cover all kinds of pedal cycles including:

    • Mountain Bikes Road Bikes.
    • Touring Bikes.
    • Mountain Bikes and BMX Bikes.
    • Hybrids and Comfort Bikes.
    • Cruisers.
    • Electric / Power Assisted Bikes.
    • Folding Bikes.
    • Tandem Bikes.

    However, we will not cover a motorcycle of any kind.

  • Can I insure multiple bikes on this policy?

    Yes, you can insure multiple bikes on the same policy up to a total value of £3000. Therefore, on this policy you can insure all the family’s bikes for one premium.

  • Where can I find my bicycle frame number?
    bike frame number location

    These are the most common places to find the pedal cycle's frame number, you should also have the number on the sales documentation you received when the bicycle was purchased.

    1. Under the crank at the bottom of the bicycle.
    2. At the front of bicycle under the handlebars.
    3. Under the saddle on the seat upright tube.

If you can't find the answer you are looking for here: Contact us via email:
Or Phone: 0844 576 8365*

pedal cycle insurance get a quote gif


Home Insurance | High Net Worth Home Insurance | Landlords Buy To Let Insurance
Mobile Phone Insurance | Student Possessions Insurance | Tenants Possessions |
Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance | Single Trip Travel Insurance | Holiday Insurance
Backpacker Travel Insurance | Gap Year Travel Insurance | Studying Abroad Insurance


Business Liability Insurance | Business Premises Insurance | Directors & Officers Insurance
Employers Liability Insurance | Home Worker Insurance | Professional Indemnity Insurance
Public Liability Insurance | Shop Insurance | Commercial Vehicle | Motor Fleet | Van Insurance

OTHER WEBSITES FROM UK & IRELAND INSURANCE Insurance for Landlords and owners of buy to let properties. Specialist Insurance for mobile phones. Specialist Insurance for students in the United Kingdom. Specialist Insurance for students in the Republic of Ireland. Online Travel Insurance from UK & Ireland Insurance. Insurance services for students, graduates, nurses & young professionals.

team cycling