Couriers / Carrier’s Liability Insurance within Ireland

This policy does not provide van insurance, it is only for the goods being transported, by you as part of your business.

Aimed at the self employed or small firm carrying goods and merchandise for hire or reward.

For a quote call us on: +44161 772 3394*

Or request a call back. (call back times are 9am?5pm / Monday?Friday)

Alternatively fill in our Carrier / Courier Liability form and we will contact you with a quote.

Important: This insurance policy is in addition to your commercial vehicle insurance, you should have a separate policy in place for your vehicle.

Why do I need Couriers/Carrier’s Liability Insurance?
When you are carrying other people’s goods you need to be certain that you and your customers are covered at all times.

Here at UK & Ireland we understand the constant demands of the courier/carrier business so our product is designed to cover your business requirements so you can have peace of mind.

What does courier/carriers liability insurance cover you for?
Our Courier /Carriers Liability Insurance will provide your business with the following benefits

We’ll cover you for loss or damage to goods that you carried for hire and reward where they have:

  1. Accepted full and unrestricted responsibility for loss or damage to the goods or
  2. A liability under the CMR Convention

What is the CMR Convention?
The CMR Convention (Convention on the Contract for the International Carriage of Goods by Road) is a United Nations convention relating to the various legal issues concerning transportation of cargo by road. Amongst other things it stipulates the liability of the carrier for loss or damage of goods in the carrier’s custody during transit and the extent of the financial compensation due in the event of a claim. It has been ratified by the majority of European states.

For more information click here

How much does it cost?
Premiums are based on the sum insured that you select we have 3 options available:

  1. Sum insured up to €10,000 = €330 premium
  2. Sum insured up to €20,000 = €440 premium
  3. Sum insured up to €30,000 = €550 premium

There are also 3 option covers available

  1. Transshipment costs – up to €10,000
  2. Sheets ropes and other equipment – up to €1,000
  3. General average and Salvage charges

What is transshipment cover?
This covers you up to €10,000 in the event that the carrying vehicle being involved in an accident for:

  1. the additional costs incurred in transferring the goods to another vehicle, or
  2. the cost of clearing up debris following an accident up to €10,000

What is sheets ropes and other equipment cover?
This covers you up to €1,000 for damage to sheets, ropes, pallets, chains, toggles, and soft materials (dunnage) used for protecting the cargo, excluding wear and tear.

What are General Average and Salvage Charges?
This cover is designed for business who undertakes journeys involving sea crossings.

A General Average loss arises from the ancient maritime convention, codified under the York-Antwerp Rules, where an extraordinary sacrifice or expenditure which is:

  1. voluntarily and reasonably made or incurred,
  2. in time of imminent peril, and
  3. for the purposes of preserving property imperiled during the course of a sea voyage.
In practical terms, this means that if the master of the ship jettisons a cargo or incurs any other extraordinary additional cost to save the vessel, then all other shippers who have cargo on that ship must bear the loss proportionately. To ensure General Average contribution is made by all of the shippers, the vessel owners are permitted to detain these undamaged cargos (and the vehicles carrying them) until the liability is discharged.

The maximum General Average liability under the policy is the overall policy limit selected by the insured.



Home Insurance | High Net Worth Home Insurance | Landlords Buy To Let Insurance
Mobile Phone Insurance | Student Possessions Insurance | Tenants Possessions |
Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance | Single Trip Travel Insurance | Holiday Insurance
Backpacker Travel Insurance | Gap Year Travel Insurance | Studying Abroad Insurance


Business Liability Insurance | Business Premises Insurance | Directors & Officers Insurance
Employers Liability Insurance | Home Worker Insurance | Professional Indemnity Insurance
Public Liability Insurance | Shop Insurance | Commercial Vehicle | Motor Fleet | Van Insurance

OTHER WEBSITES FROM UK & IRELAND INSURANCE Insurance for Landlords and owners of buy to let properties. Specialist Insurance for mobile phones. Specialist Insurance for students in the United Kingdom. Specialist Insurance for students in the Republic of Ireland. Online Travel Insurance from UK & Ireland Insurance. Insurance services for students, graduates, nurses & young professionals.