Risk Management—What You Need To Know

As employers it is essential that you are covered by adequate Public and Employer's liability insurance but you must also be aware of and adhere to the relevant regulations set out below.

The Regulations

  • Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998
    All equipment used for work must meet essential safety standard requirements, including vehicles, either company or privately owned, and systems of safe use must be implemented before work is commenced with it.
    Click here for more information.
  • Control of Substances Hazardous to Health 2002 (COSHH)
    Covers the use of substance that might cause harm to people working with it or to the environment. It is essential that employers make a risk assessment of the use of the substance, ensure adequate precautions are taken and training is given to workers handling the substance.
    Click here for more information.
  • Control of Noise at Work Regulations 2005
    Employers must reduce or prevent health risks due to excessive noise in the workplace. Thorough risk assessment of potential noise hazards must be carried out and precautions made. Employees are obligated to use the appropriate PPE (personal protective equipment).
    Click here for more information.
  • Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992
    A system of work must be in place and followed by the employees when, carrying, lifting, lowering, pulling or pushing objects at work.
    Click here for more information.
  • Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992
    Employers are required to reduce the risks to health to a minimum, where the use of a VDU (visual display unit) is used as a significant part of the working day.
    Click here for more information.
  • Work at Height Regulations 2005
    Concerns all work at height where there is a risk of a fall liable to cause personal injury. The Work at Height (Amendment) Regulations 2007 apply to those who work at height providing instruction or leadership to one or more people engaged in caving or climbing by way of sport, recreation, team building or similar activities.
    Click here for more information.
  • Construction Design & Management Regulations (CDM)
    These regulations govern all aspects of construction and building, civil engineering, and engineering construction work. Their aim is to create a work environment where health and safety is integrated into the management of the project as well as implemented and adhered to by the employees.
    Click here for more information.
  • Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012
    Updates previous asbestos regulations to take account of the EC view that the UK had not fully implemented the EU Directive on exposure to asbestos (Directive 2009/148/EC). Some types of non-licensed work with asbestos now have additional requirements, i.e. notification of work, medical surveillance and record keeping.
    Click here for more information.
  • Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR)
    Reporting obligations for employers and those responsible for health and safety in a workplace. The Regulations changed on 6 April 2012. Occupational injury resulting in incapacity over seven days from an accident must be reported within 15 days. The requirement to report occupational injuries over three days of incapacitation no longer applies.
    Click here for more information.


Home Insurance | High Net Worth Home Insurance | Landlords Buy To Let Insurance
Mobile Phone Insurance | Student Possessions Insurance | Tenants Possessions |
Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance | Single Trip Travel Insurance | Holiday Insurance
Backpacker Travel Insurance | Gap Year Travel Insurance | Studying Abroad Insurance


Business Liability Insurance | Business Premises Insurance | Directors & Officers Insurance
Employers Liability Insurance | Home Worker Insurance | Professional Indemnity Insurance
Public Liability Insurance | Shop Insurance | Commercial Vehicle | Motor Fleet | Van Insurance


Cover4BuyToLet.co.uk- Insurance for Landlords and owners of buy to let properties.
Cover4MobilePhones.co.uk- Specialist Insurance for mobile phones.
Cover4Students.com- Specialist Insurance for students in the United Kingdom.
Cover4Students.ie- Specialist Insurance for students in the Republic of Ireland.
Cover4Travel.com- Online Travel Insurance from UK & Ireland Insurance.
Saxoninsurance.com-Online Insurance services for students, graduates, nurses & young professionals.